DOMESTICS!! One of, IF NOT, the most unpredicatable calls you'll ever answer!!!

This piece serves as a reminder, especially to veteran officers, as to how problematic domestic disturbances are and what basic steps can be taken to minimize those problems.

1) Gather Info.

Dispatchers have a hard job. However, they may not have given you all the information you need. While you are heading to the call, make sure that all relevant information is radioed to you or sent to you via your in-car computer. ASK!! Some department's have regular dispatcher's on each shift, you may not have been on that day of the last call and they'll have something to share, some may even keep notes if calls to the location are frequent. If possible and the dispatcher still has the caller on the line get them to broadcast the transmission to your in-car radio or portible so you can hear exactly what is happening in a minute by minute timeline. An " Oh my God he/she just unlocked the weapons cabinet or they're grabbing a knife in the kitchen, will give YOU the responder time to think on your plan of action and have the available " tools"( TASER, OC spray,baton) you'll need ready to go when you roll up.
2) History.
Is there a history at the incident location? That may give you a clue as to the players and their past interactions with law enforcement.A lot of times the calls will involve what I like to call " frequent flyer's", and ask dispatch if they remember previous calls for assistance, as the dispatcher's are your first line of defence and many of them will remember something that may have happened on a previous "visit". Some agencies have systems that bring up call location history automatically. With others you may have to pull it up yourself or request that dispatch research it for you.

3) Visualize.
As you are going to your call for service, visualize different scenarios. Imagining different events related to the call will help you to react quicker should one of those scenarios, or something similar, materialize. A good rule of thumb I use when FTO'ing is I tell my guys to think of 4 scenarios, and then think like the perp, which of the 4 scenario's if you were the perp who YOU use. It seem's 90% of the time the scenario you would use is also the one the perp uses. Go figure!!??
4) Map the area out.

While you are imagining, think about the different entrances and exits from the location. If you hear the suspect is exiting the area, you will have already thought through the geography of the vicinity. You may be able to figure out where the suspect is heading and the best route to use to intercept him or her.In fact in one of my Rookie Training Tips articles I have mentioned that on a day off it is advisable to go through your area in the daylight if you work evenings and graveyards often, backyards, empty lot's, etc., can change and they do frequently. You can look for things such as "gopher holes", lawn care equipment being left out frequently, newly installed CLOTHESLINES, yes, clotheslines, as I worked with an Officer once who ran into a clothesline in the dark, thankfully he wasn't hurt, if it had been a metal line stretched out things may not have been so favorable. If you are in a high crime or drug dealing patrol area this also gives you the opportunity to look for possible " stash spots" where they may hide drugs, guns, or both.

5) Backup.
While this should go without saying, have adequate backup at domestic calls. Some agencies will automatically assign backup, while others, particularly in manpower stretched, rural jurisdictions,like mine, will not.If it is a non lifethreating call, ( but how can you determine that without being there, DISPATCHER info!! Keep them on the phone and keep them there until you arrive). I will call for an available unit for back up while proceeding to the complaint, if my back up is 1/2 hour away , which it usually is, I do a VERY QUICK walk around the house to look in through windows for weapons or whatever, if an apartment block situation you don't have this option but sometime's other tenant's who are " nosey" and in the hallway can give you some great insight of what to expect.

6) Maintain equipment. !!!!

I have also written a 'weapon's cleaning for Rookie's article)
The time to find the dust and debris in your firearm or the pinhole in your pepper spray canister is not at a potentially violent domestic call. If your department does not mandate routine inspections and cleaning of your equipment, than make your own schedule to do so.I suggest a weekly basis here folks, 10 minutes of your time could avoid being laid up in hospital for months or even much worse!!! You want avoid a " flag presentation ceremony" ( your's) at all cost!!!

7) Train.

Much like number six above, if your department does not send you to training on a regular basis, than make the effort on your own. Much of my training came on my days off and at my own expense.By taking the initiative and attending ' non-curricular training courses" such as the HAZMAT for Public Safety Diving, and the extra time and effort on a Mui Tai one on one self defense seminar not only did I learn some valuable new skills, I also trimmed down another 7 pounds, and had fun!! I did so because I knew it was essential to my SURVIVAL and growth as a law enforcement professional.
While it would be nice if the agency would foot the bill, in this age of governmental fiscal austerity, the likelihood is less today than a few years ago. When YOU decide not to seek out and go to training opportunities just because the department won’t send you on their dime not only shortchanges you, your fellow officers, the public, and your families.

8) Assess.

Don’t get "the I have the situation in hand attitude" and complacent and forget about the dangers, as we all know traffic stops and domestic responses are THE MOST DANGEROUS situations a LEO can encounter.I have been ' chastised' by training officer's for drilling this into my rookies minds, but they are safe and streetwise officer's by constant 'nattering' on this subject. As you pull up, remember to position your patrol car in a safe spot down the street. Always,always,stop to observe and assess the situation beforeyou go all bent for hellfire rushing in. Do you hear, see, or smell anything. Stand away from the front of the door and make further observations. This is where I start my 'observations' when stopping a MV, at 10' back I have already done 2 sweeps with my flashlight,( in my non-dominant hand, keeping my hand on my holster, with the flap already flipped to give me quick response should it be needed.

9) Positioning.

Positioning is a key to what I call “officer win” (not just “officer survival”) tactic. With your firearm side away, have a good interview position. Use your backup to separate other parties involved and question people separately using a team approach. Don’t lose sight of your partner( if you happen to have one as the RCMP are single officer units unless you are with an FTO, or having your yearly review), because once you do you become two teams of one; not one team of two.

10) Document.

One component of the officer winning (not just surviving) strategy is legal success. Be sure to protect yourself and strengthen your case by taking the extra effort and documenting all relevant details. Report writing, including photos, voluntary statements, and the like, is an often forgotten but key ingredient to your success.

YOU CAN SEE MORE ON REPORT WRITNG ON "TOM'S TIP'S FOR ROOKIES, BETTER REPORT WRITING!!" I like to use the KISS method for my new guys to use, KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid!! ;-) Not that my rookies are 'stupid' it's just that our Academy at Depot Division likes to stress the fact document,document,and then document some more. I once received a 4 page "typed report" for an simple MVA where a description, small diagram, and the pertinent information would have been sufficient, the "rookie" in question happened to be an English major in his first year of University. You don't have to be a ' Shakespere'!!

Domestic violence calls are volatile situations that can go South in an instant. Keep a cool head, get rid of the complacent attitude, and don’t forget the basics of your training. While these ten reminder tips will not guarantee you won’t have an incident like some of our Brother's, most recently in St. Paul MN,May Officer Crittenden R.I.P.,( we have your watch now Brother), they go a long ways towards tipping the odds in your favor

To all my police diving buddies, DIVE SAFE!!
GET HOME EVERYTIME!!! :-)
The GET HOME EVERYTIME GOES FOR ALL OF MY BROTHER'S IN BLUE!!!!!

S/Sgt. Thomas Hanna

Maintiens les Droits!!

Comments

Edwards said…
Very good article Tom. I am very happy to be able to access it from my own blog. Very convenient.
Thanks!
Hank
Diver said…
I'm glad you liked it Hank, you may want to share it with your men also. Anything I post is free to be used my friend, anything I can do to help keep my " bama" Brothers safer, makes my day!! :-)
Don't like to hear 11-99's on radio traffic!!! AND ESPECIALLY the " OFFICER DOWN" come across, as those are the most blood curdling calls a LEO can hear!!
Be safe Bro.

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL OF MY " SOUTHERN" FRIENDS!!!!!

UNDERWATER EVIDENCE COLLECTING